Thursday 14 January 2010

Poster - Research

The second main task in which was required was to create a poster which would be used within a magazine to advertise my magazine. the first thing i would have to do is look at other examples of newspapers being advertised and see what is common and what is different. By doing this it will help to make a poster which has the necessities of a trademark poster but also the original local twist to make it particularly unique to my own set of media products.
To start i shall show you a few different styles of newspaper posters;

This is an example of a newspaper poster. This is a type of poster that would appear outside a shop or on a newspaper stand, where it would literally be used to advertise the main story headline to a passer-by. this is an effective type of advertisement as it would gain readers on a day whereas my poster is to attract long term buyers of my newspaper.

This newspaper poster above would again appear on the street. It again follows the general rule of advertising the main headline from the newspaper which would attract custom to a newspaper stand. It uses colours which I would imagine are relevant to the newspaper and bares it on a plain white background in order to keep the general focus on the text in the middle. The main difference between this poster and the other is the location of the newspaper's title, which is now located at the bottom. This is good because it attracts people to read the whole of the poster to find what paper it is from but also it can be an eye-sore for people who are quickly glancing in order to grab a paper.

What I Discovered.
From looking and deconstructing the two newspaper posters above I have found out that they like to use clear cut simplicity in order to gain the audiences attention. They use minimal colour, and if used it is relevent to the colour scheme of the newspaper. The text that has been used has been abrupt and placed in the centre making it clearly visible to gain attention. The only clear cut difference between the two is location of the newspaper logo.
From looking at these two posters it has influenced me into doing a few things. I have decided to put my title at the top rather than in the middle, and fill the space in the middle with text, this way it will focus attention into what is being sold and also grab the readers attention. I have also decided because it is for use within a magazine that I will put an image of the front cover of my designed newspaper. I will do this so that the audience knows directly what is being advertised and it will also make it unique from other posters.